September 29, 2014

Unconditional?

A condition is a requirement that must be met before something can happen: If you clean your room, then you are allowed to eat dessert. If you make the payments on time, then there will be no penalty. When some people read the Bible, they notice the conditions and apply them to themselves. They think about how not obeying the conditions means that the requirement will not be fulfilled. It would be the equivalent of disobeying God himself.

“If you love me, keep my commands." John 14:15 (If I keep His commandments, then I love Him. If I do not keep His commandments, then I do not love Him.)

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” John 14:21 (If I have and keep His commandments, then I love Him. Because I love Him, I will be loved by His Father, more than that, He will love me and show Himself to me. If I do not have and keep His commandments, then I do not love Him. Because I do not love him, I will not be loved by His father, more than that, He will not love me or show Himself to me.)

"3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God[a] is truly made complete in them.This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did." 1 John 2:3-6 (Actually, the whole book of 1 John is great for explaining the love - obey relationship in many different ways.)

And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. 2 John 1:6 (This is how I love, that I walk in obedience to His commands. As I have heard from the beginning, His command is that I walk in love. This is not love: to walk in disobedience to His commands.)

Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:19 (Therefore, if I set aside even the least of the commandments and teachers others to do the same, I will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but if I practice and teach these commandments, I will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.)

“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” Matthew 19:17 (If I want to enter life, I must keep the commandments. If I do not want to enter life I do not have to keep the commandments.)

"48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. 49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.” John 12:48-50 (Jesus is speaking on behalf of God the Father, His commands leads to eternal life. Rejecting them will ultimately condemn me on Judgement day.)

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34 (This command is referred to in 2 John 1:6)

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other. John 15:9-17 (Keep commandments - remain in love. Love each other as Jesus has loved us. I am Jesus' friend if I do as He commands.)

I could probably keep on pulling out more and more verses - but this batch clearly shows the relationship I wanted to demonstrate: Love is Obedience is Salvation for Eternity. That's why many Christians take their Bibles so very seriously - it's filled with commands for them to obey because they love God. 

For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:4 (But with the entire law being fulfilled, that rules out a lot of commands to follow, fortunately, there's a lot of advice in the New Testament that can be re-interpreted as commands.)

According to This Site, there are 684 Passages in the New Testament that gives us commands to follow. Lucky us - the Old Testament Pharisees only had 613 commandments to follow.

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. Matthew 22:37 (Often simplified to love vertically (you and God) and love horizontally (You and your neighbor).)

But I've been told that God is love: 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

We're not immune to committing the same mistakes that our spiritual predecessor did - we might not be following their rules, but we are following our rules in the same way they did ... the same way that Jesus freed us from. He doesn't want us to be just like the Pharisees ... He wants us to be just like Him. Look to Jesus' example in how to treat others, how not to judge others, how to love others, how to obey God, and you'll never go wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment